Friday, February 1, 2008

A meaningful dollar



At a coffee shop show a few weeks ago, a man got up after one of my tunes, dug into his pocket and pulled out a one dollar bill.  He looked at me and said, "I don't have much, but I want to give this to you."  I remember wondering as I saw him sitting there, if he lived on the street.  I could tell by his appearance that he didn't "have much."  My first instinct when he pulled out that dollar bill was to say, "no, please keep it."  

But I didn't.  

I realized that this may be one of the most meaningful dollars that I would ever receive.  It came with intention and from the heart of someone who truly wanted to show his appreciation.  And, why would I want to reject a gift that someone so earnestly wanted to give?  That would be egotistical and judgmental of me, and it would stop the flow of energy.

One of things that I've been learning in this musical journey is about the circle of energy.  The giving and the receiving.  The opening.  The letting out of what I have to offer and the letting in of those who receive and appreciate the offering.  It's a lesson in opening and connection, meaning and intention.  

And sometimes it feels like a direct line to Divinity.

3 comments:

CaringInfo said...

Hi Amber - this is your S.Cal Fan. I just found you here - I would honored if you would look in on my blog ( http://musiclady54.blogspot.com/ ) I just wrote about the law of giving and can totally relate to what you say here. J.

Laura Meyer said...

This is a beautiful post... it can be so hard to receive sometimes.

All the best to you.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. I was playing my violin at the GV FMarket and a gentleman came by and put a dollar in my case and sweetly said "I have been watching you and it shows you have been Classically trained and thank you for the music" - I teared up and bowed deeply - recognition is the greatest gift a musician can recieve. Amber - I'm the fiddler you gave your CD to - I have the back up ready for LTD. email me. Patty